If the Windows 11 version update causes your PC to malfunction, or you have problems using apps or peripherals, you can use the standard function to return to the version before the update. However, it can be returned within 10 days after the version update. This page introduces how to return a PC that has been updated to the previous version.
If Windows 11 cannot start normally due to version update, please refer to the following page.
Revert Windows 11 version update to previous version
Check existence of data to revert to previous version
Even if it is within 10 days, the condition is that the “previous Windows backup” automatically created at the time of update has not been deleted. You need to be careful if you have automatic deletion set up, such as with Storage Sense. Unless otherwise specified, the data for restoring the version is the previous Windows backup named “Windows.old” folder, and it is created directly under the local disk (C:), so check its existence. Open “Local Disk” in “This PC” in Explorer and check if “Windows.old” exists.
Run the restore function to go back to the previous version
1. Click the “Start” button and click “Settings” in the Start.
2. When “Settings” is displayed, the system screen is displayed, so click “Recovery”.
3. Click the “Revert” button in “Restore”.
If restore is not active as shown below, it is not possible to revert a version.
4. When “Why are you reverting to the previous version?” is displayed, click each applicable reason to put a check mark. If you have any comments, enter them in the message box.
Click Next when the operation is complete.
5. When “Do you want to check for updates?” is displayed, click “Don’t do” because the version will be reverted here.
6. Check the contents of “Things to know” and click “Next”.
* Preparations for restoring the version will start. It may take a long time, but please avoid doing things like force quitting. 7. When the preparation is complete, the message “Please be careful not to be locked out” will be displayed.
- A lockout is when an account is temporarily disabled by entering an incorrect password too many times.
- The content means that if you have changed your password after the update, please sign in with the password you used before the update after the version returns.
- If there is no problem with the password, click “Next”.
8. When you see “Thank you for trying this build”, click “Revert to previous build”.
*If you want to cancel, click “Cancel” here. It cannot be canceled once started. 9. Work to restore the version will start.
- It may take a long time to restore the version, but please avoid such things as forced termination.
- Before the reversion configuration is finished, a reboot will be performed and the startup screen will be displayed.
If the lock screen is displayed and you are signed in and the desktop is displayed, the work to restore the previous version is complete.
Checking the version returned
You can check the version by clicking “About” in “Settings” → “System”.
Be careful when reverting to the previous version
- The period during which you can revert to the previous version is limited to within 10 days after the update.
- If the password is changed after the version update, the password before the update is required. If you forget your password, do not use the reversion function.
- Any system settings such as customizations after the update will be reverted.
- Applications installed after the update may have problems after reverting the version. In this case you will have to reinstall the app.
- Even if you revert the version, some system settings such as customizations before the update may return to the initial values.