Some hard drive or computer problems may prevent your hard drive from being read correctly. The inability to access a hard drive does not always indicate a faulty drive and you may be able to fix the car and recover your data using an external hard drive enclosure. The hard drive box is a shell that you put your hard drive in. It interfaces the hard drive to your computer using a USB cable. Things You’ll Need
Show More Instructions
Turn off the computer . Unplug the power cord and disconnect all other cables from the back of the computer. Open the computer case to expose the internal hardware. You may need to loosen a fastener or remove some screws to open the cover or side panel.
Disconnect the hard drive power cable and the interface cable connecting the drive to the motherboard. Loosen the securing screws on the drive brackets and slide the drive out. Close the computer case and reconnect all cables.
Open the hard drive case. The design of your case product will vary between manufacturers. Common designs often require sliding a lid or opening a door on the front or side panel of the case.
Connect the hard drive to the cables in the chassis, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Place the hard drive in the case and close it. Connect the power cord and USB cables to the hard drive enclosure. Plug the other end of the power cord into an AC outlet and plug the USB cable into a USB port on your computer.
Click “Start” and “Computer”. Locate the drive letter of the hard disk box. If the drive has not completely failed, you can copy the files to another storage device. If the drive works perfectly in the case, you may have a problem with your computer’s internal cables or motherboard.
Right-click the drive and choose “Format” if you want to wipe the drive and write the file system to it as another troubleshooting step. Click “OK” to start the formatting process.
· What is needed for a partition to be Bootable…
· Differences between U3 and normal Pen Drives
· How to record and capture to an SD card
· How to Remove Formats on CDFS
· How to Copy Data from an Old PC to a New Laptop
· How to get a password for Cruzer 1GB
· How to kill a boot disk
· How to Format an Unpartitioned Drive
· What is OSD Support & What does it mean
· How to Compare Files on Two Hard Drives
· How do I copy a CD on my computer
· How to Wire a CPU Fan
· iMac graphics
· How to update Acer Aspire 5100 BIOS in one
· When Laptops Wanted Use a SATA Hard Drive
· How to Recover Computer Memory
· Putting a hard drive copier in a laptop
· How to bypass BIOS password on an HP
· How to clear a cache on OS X
· How to Recover Corrupt Data from a CD