Safe mode starts with only reading the minimum necessary drivers and system using Windows 11. Since unnecessary apps and services are not loaded, there are few permission issues and you can perform repairs. This page introduces 5 ways to repair in safe mode.
See below for instructions on how to boot in safe mode.
Repair Windows 11 in Safe Mode
Repair with system restore
If System Restore is enabled , you can easily and safely perform repairs. By selecting a date before the problem occurred in Windows 11, you can restore and repair the state of that date and time.
Run system restore in safe mode
Setting up and using Windows 11 System Restore
Repair system files
You can start Command Prompt and use the repair command to check for system problems in Windows 11 and repair them automatically. This repair often solves problems in Windows 11. The commands to repair the system are [sfc /scannow] and [Dism], which can check and repair system files and system images.
At the command prompt, execute the commands in the following order to perform the check and repair.
- sfc /scannow
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
- sfc /scannow
Setting and using Windows 11 system restore
Start the command prompt “from the start menu”. Also, even when booting in safe mode, it will be treated as “the state where Windows 11 is running”.
Disk Check is a simple way to check and repair your drive or system, but depending on your environment, it may not be possible to run it in Safe Mode.
Repair with disk check in safe mode
1. Right-click the local disk (C:) in “This PC” in Explorer and click “Properties” in the menu.
2. When the properties are displayed, click the Tools tab and click the Check button under Check the drive for errors. 3. Even if the error checking dialog says “You don’t need to scan this drive”, click “Scan Drive”.
Depending on the environment, “disk check” in safe mode may not be possible. In that case, use command prompt.
- Type CHKDSK /f and press Enter.
- If “… CHDSK cannot be executed…” is displayed, the disk check cannot be performed even at the command prompt.
- You can force a disk check to run on the next boot by typing Y and pressing Enter .
Uninstall the app
If there is a problem with starting Windows 11, there is a possibility that the problem is an application such as antivirus software that starts automatically. Also, apps that cannot be uninstalled while Windows 11 is running may be able to be uninstalled in safe mode.
Repair by deleting apps in safe mode
1. Open “Apps” in “Settings” and click “Apps & Features”.
2. You can uninstall the app by clicking the “Menu button” and clicking the displayed “Uninstall”.
Repair by deleting drivers in safe mode
1. Click [Device Manager] in the menu that is right-clicked on the Start button.
2. Click to expand the “>” button of the device type you want to remove the drive from. 3. The driver can be deleted by right-clicking the device name to be uninstalled and clicking “Uninstall” in the menu.