Check Disk in Windows 10 can check and automatically repair disk drives by checking drive errors from Explorer or by running the CHKDSK command from Command Prompt or Terminal. This page introduces how to use Check Disk to fix disk drive file system errors. Please refer to the following page for the method of system check and automatic repair for Windows 11 to work.
How to check disk with Windows 11 Disk Tool
For Windows bugs, select “Local Disk (C:)” where Windows 11 is usually installed.2. Click the Tools tab in the Properties window.
3. Click the “Check” button in “Check the drive for errors.”
4. When the “Error Checking” dialog box appears, click “Scan Drive”.
5. Disk error check will start, so wait until the check is completed.
It can take a considerable amount of time if the environment and issues are being detected.
Completion of check-dis
- If “Restart” is requested, restart. After rebooting, the system will automatically repair itself.
After restarting, when the “Automatic Repair” screen appears, click “Restart”.
- If there is no “reboot” request, click “close” to complete.
If you want to see the results of the check disk, click “View Details” to open the “Event Viewer”
Check the check disk execution result of the tool
You can check how it is checked by executing Check Disk, and check the contents such as the detection of problems and the status of repair. You can see the details of what the check disk is doing by clicking Show Details.
Event log of check disk execution result
If you move the mouse pointer to the right end of the box that displays the execution contents of the check disk, a scroll button will appear, so you can check the details of the execution results by clicking or using the mouse wheel.
How to check disk by executing Windows 11 command
- After pressing the “Windows” key on your keyboard, press ” cmd “.
- When the search screen appears, click “Run as administrator” in Command Prompt.
*This operation is the same as entering “cmd” in the search.
To start from the Start menu, click “All apps” and click “Windows Tools” in the list to open Explorer, right-click “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator” “Click.
run check disk with command
Description of the check disk command
- ‘ chkdsk ‘ command to run check disk
- Check ” c: ” C drive (the drive where Windows is installed)
- ” /r ” to check completely
2. When prompted “Do you want to schedule a check (Y/N)?”, type ” Y ”
4. When you see “This volume will be checked at the next system restart”, close Command Prompt and restart your PC .
5. After restarting, the check disk will start running, and when it is completed, it will restart again and Windows 11 will start.
Check disk run progress
- When you restart, you will see “Press any key within 0 seconds to skip the check disk.”
- You can cancel the check disk by pressing any key on the keyboard.
- If you do not cancel, the check disk will start. You can check the progress by displaying “Total: 〇〇%”. It may take some time, but just wait. If the lock screen is displayed, the check disk is complete.
To check the contents of the check disk, you can check it from Computer Management after booting.
Confirmation of check disk execution result by command
You can check the check disk from Event Viewer in Computer Management. 1. Right-click the “Windows” mark and click “Computer Management” in the menu.
2. When Computer Management is displayed, click the “>” icon on the left and expand it in the following order.
- 〉Event Viewer
- 〉Windows log
and click Application.
3. After clicking “Application” for a while, information will be displayed in the box, so find the most recent ” Wininit ” and click it.
If you move the mouse pointer to the right edge of the box, a scroll button will appear, so you can click or use the mouse wheel to search.5. In the box on the “Wininit” screen, you can see the result of running Check Disk.
If the box is small and difficult to see, open another window using the method below to make it easier to see.
Check the execution result of the check disk in the property of the event
If you right-click the most recent “Wininit” and click “Event Properties” in the menu, it will be displayed in a separate window for easy viewing.
Check disk event properties
Explanation of the contents of the check disk and the differences between tools and commands
Check disk contents
Check Disk performs a file system check (chkdsk). It accesses the physical sectors of the disk and automatically tries to repair any file system problems it detects.
The file system is the part that makes up the data related to the disk, such as the status of the disk defect or optimization, the control of how data is saved or deleted on the disk, the management of files and folders, etc.
Difference between running check disk with tool and command
If you run Check Disk using a tool , since Windows 11 is running, you cannot check or repair data that affects the use of your PC, so only simple checks and repairs are possible. Also, using the tool is titled Checking Your Drive for Errors. If you run check disk with the chkdsk command , the PC will restart and it will be executed before Windows 11 starts, so there is almost no data that interferes with checking and repairing, and you can run a near-perfect check disk. chkdsk is short for check disk as you can see.
There is also a system file checker to check the system with commands. The command is sfc /scannow , which will detect and automatically repair system file problems for Windows to work. chkdsk (file system) check and sfc (system file) check are similar names but separate repair functions. Other dism commands will download image files to replace or repair problematic data if they detect problems with your system. If check disk doesn’t fix the problem, other repair commands may help.