If you cannot start up by executing the version update of Windows 11, you can start it by starting up the PC with the repair function and restoring it to the version before the update with “Uninstall the function update program”. You may be able to. This page introduces what to do when Windows 11 version update does not start.
1. Start PC with repair function
There are three ways to start the recovery function: forced shutdown by power operation, installation media, and recovery drive. This section introduces activation of the recovery function by a power operation that does not require media.
- Turn on the computer’s power switch, and when the startup screen (spinning) is displayed, press and hold the power button until it shuts down to “force shutdown”.
* Forced termination must be performed twice or more in succession.The timing of pressing the power button for forced shutdown is to turn off the power by pressing and holding the power button when the startup screen or ” spinning ” screen is displayed.
* Depending on the computer, the Windows logo may not be displayed, and the manufacturer’s logo or nothing may be displayed.
* Even if the computer is running, but the Windows boot screen is not even displayed, try “Force Quit”.
Forcibly terminate the computer two or more times in a row, and if “Preparing automatic repair” or “Please wait” is displayed, wait as it is. Depending on the version and environment, “Please wait” may be displayed, the automatic repair described below may not be executed, and the “Recovery” screen may be displayed immediately, but there is no problem.If Automatic Repair is launched, the startup screen will say “Preparing Automatic Repair” and then “Diagnosing your PC”. If “Recovery” is displayed, proceed to the next step (2).
It may take quite some time during the diagnosis, but just wait.
- When the Automatic Repair screen appears, click Advanced Options.
* Depending on the PC environment, the “Recovery” screen may appear, but click “Show advanced options”.
- Click “Troubleshoot” and then click “Advanced options” on the next screen.
After successfully launching the repair function, the next step is to uninstall the update and restore the version.
2. Revert to the version before the update
1. When Advanced options appear, click Uninstall updates.
Depending on the edition and execution environment of the repair function, it may be necessary to select the administrator user and enter the “password”.
When the account selection screen appears, select a user with administrator privileges, enter the password, and click Continue.
3. When “Uninstall the latest feature update” is displayed, click “Uninstall the feature update”.
*If you click here, you will not be able to cancel the uninstallation.
4. When “Tell me why you want to go back to the previous version” is displayed, click the reason to put a check mark. If you have any comments, enter them in the message box.Click Next when the operation is complete. 5. When “Do you want to check for updates?”
6. When “Things to know” is displayed, check the contents and click “Next”.
Preparations for reversion begin. It may take quite some time, but please avoid things like forced termination. 7. “Please be careful not to be locked out” is displayed.
- A lockout is when an account is temporarily disabled by entering an incorrect password too many times.
- The content means that if the password has been changed after the update, sign in with the password that was used before the update.
- Check the contents and click “Next”.
8. “Thank you for trying this build” will be displayed.
- To return to the version before the update, click “Revert to previous build” and execute.
- When you click it, the process will start and it will restart after a while.
- Click “Cancel” to cancel the operation. Once started, it cannot be canceled.
9. The process of restoring to the previous version will begin. It may take a long time, so don’t force quit.
It is completed if it starts normally after restarting and the home screen is displayed after signing in.
Check current version
You can check the version by clicking “About” in “Settings” → “System”.