You can set the time until the display turns off after stopping using Windows 11 in two places: the power screen in the system settings and the sleep and power options in the control panel. This page introduces how to set the time to turn off the screen from Windows 11 stop using.
3 ways to set the standby time to turn off the display from Windows 11 stop use
Set screen turn off time with system power
1. Click the “Start” button and click “Settings” in the Start.
2. Click “Power” in the “System” item.
3. Click the selection box for “When plugged in, turn off screen after” and select the amount of time after stopping Windows 11 until the screen turns off.
If you select “None” and set the sleep time to “None”, the screen will remain on all the time. You can also display the lock screen with the screen saver function without turning off the screen when the set time has elapsed since the use was stopped.
Windows 11 How to switch to the lock screen after stopping operation and setting the waiting time. This completes the setting of the time to turn off the screen. It will be immediately reflected in the system and will be executed.
Set the time to turn off the screen with power in the control panel
1. Open Control Panel
from the start menu To start from the Start menu, click “All apps”, click “Windows Tools” in the list to open Explorer, and click “Control Panel”.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard, then press control .
- When the search screen appears, click “Control Panel”.
*This operation is the same as entering “control” in the search.
2. Click System and Security.
3. Click “Change when the computer sleeps” under “Power Options”.
4. Click the “Turn off display” selection button to select a time to turn off the screen.
5. Click “Save Changes” to finish setting the screen power off time. The settings are reflected immediately.
2. When “Power Options” is displayed, click [+] on “Display” to expand it, and then click [+] on “Turn off display after”.
3. Click “Set” to change the time, so click the “▲▼” button to set the time to turn off the screen in minutes and click “OK”.
5. If the “Turn off the display” time has been changed, you are done.
Although it depends on the model and environment of the PC, the desktop screen will be displayed immediately when the screen power is turned off and then restored. In this state, there is a safety problem if you use it in a situation where other people can operate it immediately, such as at a company. How to display the sign-in screen after returning is introduced below.
If the screen does not turn off at the set time
Set the waiting time for the screen to turn off when executing a command
If you can’t turn off the screen from the settings or control panel, you may be able to improve it by starting the command prompt or terminal and setting the standby time to turn off the display with the command. Here, the command prompt is used for explanation
- After pressing the “Windows” key on your keyboard, press ” cmd “.
- When the search screen appears, click “Run as administrator” in Command Prompt.
*This operation is the same as entering “cmd” in the search.
To start from the Start menu, click “All apps” and click “Windows Tools” in the list to open Explorer, right-click “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator” “Click.
The above is the setting command for the standby time to turn off the screen. The number ” 300 ” at the end is the time, specified in seconds. After executing the command, check if the display is turned off at the set time. If the display still does not turn off at the set time, there may be a problem with the system files, so try running a system file check in Command Prompt or Terminal.
System check to fix the problem that the screen is not cut off
Enter and execute the following command in the command prompt or terminal. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter on your keyboard.
It will start checking and repairing system files. It may take some time, but wait until it finishes.If you see “…no integrity violations found.” or “…repaired successfully.”, the system check is complete.
If the screen says “… was not repaired” or “… operation could not be performed”, more repair actions are required. For a detailed explanation of how to repair with commands, see the following page.
How to repair system with Windows 11 command prompt. When the system check is completed successfully, restart the computer, set the time to turn off the display again, and check the operation.